I have a photograph, “Shades of Pink,” from Toronto Caribana 2010 that will be a part of the COMPLEXion exhibition in Toronto in October. Details below.
WHAT: “COMPLEXion” – a multidisciplinary collaborative exhibition presented by 3MW Collective and Refuge Productions addressing shadeism in communities of colour.
Local artist collectives join forces to bring awareness to the issue of “shadeism” within communities of colour through their multidisciplinary exhibition “COMPLEXion”. This spectacular exhibition will feature painting, photography, installation, film, music, dance, and spoken word, all addressing issues of “shadeism”.
“Shadeism” (i.e. colourism) is a form of prejudice or discrimination in which people are treated differently based on a range of social meanings attached to the shade of their skin colour.
In collaboration between the 3MW Collective and Refuge Productions, COMPLEXion will share multiple stories related to shadeism, from a wide spectrum of people of colour expressed through a variety of mediums including, visual art and installations, music, film, and poetry — together producing a complex and powerful visual and emotional experience.
- Angelot Ndongmo, Storytelling
- Sun the Real Sun feat. The Students of Lost Lyrics, Musical Performance
- Ayan Siyad, Photography
- Nadia Alam, Visual Art
- Lelu Angwenyi, Visual Art
- Tavila Disha Haque, Photography
- Sanchari Sur, Photography
- Luxshanaa Sebarajah, Visual Art
- Joanna Delos Reyes, Visual Art
- Jade Lee Hoy, Visual Art
- Sedina Fiati, Musical Performance
- Shaina Agbayani, Visual Art
- Bilan Hashi, Audio Installation
- Marie Sotto, Visual Art / Poetry
- Jeni Hallam, Photography
- Dre Ngozi, Visual Art
- Muna Ali, Mixed Media Installation
- Nayani Thiyagarajah, Mixed Media, Installation /Film
- Ilene Sova, Visual Art
- Rema Taveres, Photography
- Jordan Clarke, Visual Arts
WHEN: The exhibition runs from October 3 to October 7, 2013, by appointment only 647-725-0896
The exhibition will also be part of Nuit Blanche, Saturday October 5th from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
The opening reception will take place on Thursday, October 3, from 7-11 p.m.
WHERE: Brockton Collective 442 Dufferin Street, Studio A Toronto, ON M6K 2A3
WHO: 3MWCollective and Refuge Productions
I won’t be able to make it to the exhibition itself, but it will be worthwhile to catch it if you happen to be in Toronto. Also, some of the works will be on sale.